FORMS NEEDED FOR PARTICIPATION IN MARCHING BAND
Marching Band “Boot” Camp: August 28 (27th for Rookies and Captains) – September 1, 2017
Students can go home for lunch or dinner or bring it with them to eat in the band room or on the field.
2017 Band Camp at GRHS (Attendance Mandatory)
Tuesday, 8/29, 9:00am-9:00pm
Before arriving at camp . . . EAT BREAKFAST. Every year, we have students who get too hot or tired or even faint. Most of the time, that student did not eat before coming to camp. “Boot” camp is more strenuous that one thinks, so please make sure students eat a nutritious breakfast. They can also bring small snacks if they get hungry. There will be water breaks, but having a water bottle with a strap allows them to have water with them at all times in the field.
On Friday, September 1st, at 4:30 PM, there will be a preview performance of the marching band show based on the music of Don Ellis, at the GRHS backfield. Refreshments will be served. Family, friends, marching band alums, and GRMPA alums are invited to gather at the top of the hill to see what the students have learned during the summer practice sessions and “boot” camp, AND to use this initial performance as a reference point as the band continues to improve throughout the season. Though the performance is somewhat “messy” and often not complete, it certainly demonstrates how much these students learn in a short period of time. That evening there will be a pool party to celebrate the end of camp and the beginning of Marching Band season!
Supplies Needed for “Boot” Camp
- Binder for drill and music with clear plastic pages. (Plastic pages are not mandatory, but they will save you a huge headache by the end of the season.)
- Small spiral notebook to use as “dot” book
- Sunscreen: Students burn every year because they forget to put on sunscreen. You will be reminded, but you have to put it on!!
- Sneakers—not flip-flops or sandals—Sneakers. While on the field, students must wear sneakers. For the evening session, students and instructors will be inside, so sneakers are optional.
- Water bottle with a strap—a simple shoelace works. It’s an easy way for students to always have water with them on the field.
Keep in mind: Section leaders will also tell students what materials they need to bring to camp.
MARCHING BAND ATHLETIC FORMS